Austin had his 8 year check up with Dr. B. the other day, and we are happy to report that he is still cancer free. For those of you who may not know, Austin was diagnosed with Wilms Tumor when he was 14 months old. They removed his left kidney, which is where the tumor had grown (luckily it hadn't spread anywhere else). He was in the hospital for about 12 days, then he went through 6 months of Chemotherapy. We have had numerous Doctor appointments, ultra sounds, and x-ray's over the past 8 years. The Doctor's told us that if a tumor was going to return, it would most likely do so within 8 years. So we are very happy to have reached this 8 year mark.
Now Dr. B. says that we just need to watch for the long term side effects from the Chemotherapy. One thing he wanted to check at this last visit was his feet. I was very curious, and asked him why, he said that one side effect of the Vincristine that he was given, could cause some problems in his feet. Well wouldn't you know, Austin has flat feet. He said it could possibly be a side effect from the drug, but he couldn't be certain. I thought that was the weirdest thing. But at least Jeremy can't blame the flat feet on my side of the family. (Which is what he was trying to do.) We are so thankful to live in a time when they know so much about cancer and are finding more cures everyday. We love Austin, and thank our Heavenly Father everyday for his life. He has blessed Jeremy and I with a very special spirit.
Here are some pictures of Austin in the Hospital
Sorry, the pictures are dark
Before his Surgery
After they removed all of the tubes
Below are just some silly pictures of Austin growing up.
Austin has grown into a fun and loving boy. He is always thinking of others before himself. Austin is a very hard worker, if he want's to accomplish it, he will. He is very good at making new friends, and also loves to make people laugh.
Austin was given a wish by the MAKE A WISH foundation. His wish was to visit Spongbob. So they flew us to Florida, where we met Spongbob, and enjoyed Disney World for a week. It was such a great experience.
We Love You Austin!!

7 comments:
Yea! That is such great news. We are so happy that Austin is doing well. We love him and are so grateful we get to be a part of his life!
We have only met once at Che's wedding but I am her sis Cortney. She has told me so much about your little family, and I am so happy for you. I can't even imagine what it was like to go through. I know when my little guy was hit by the car it was so hard to watch him hurt and not be able to help him. I admire you. Che always talks about how amazing you are. I just wanted to tell you how happy I was to read the great news.
What a cute little guy! He's such a fighter. I can only imagine what a huge relief it is to reach this point in his life. I am so happy for you guys.
Has it really been that long? I remember when you were going thru that trial--I always felt bad I wasn't closer at that time! It is wonderful that you've hit this landmark though. Wow Austin and Logan look alike, what cuties!
I am so happy for Austin and your family on this great news. What a blessing! How neat that he got a wish from 'Make a Wish'. I am so jealous. Congrats on such good news!
I didn't know your story....glad it has a happy ending!!!! I loved seeing the pics from his younger years. so cute!
That is such exciting news! That had to be a rough time watching your child go through something like that-thank goodness he has such a good mom to take care of him! Glad to hear everything is well!
Post a Comment