Our family attended Grandma Lou's Funeral on Friday. It was a very nice, but sad day. It was very hard for me to see Grandma. I've always thought in the back of my mind that Grandma Lou would be here forever. She was the young, and fun Grandma. She would never get old and die. She looked very peaceful, and beautiful in her white gown. Her casket was very beautiful, and it had a photo of her family when they were young silk screened onto the fabric. (see the picture in the display below) Grandpa looked so sad sitting by her side in his wheel-chair. I cried when I saw him, but he re-assured me that she was ready to go, and was no longer in pain.
There were tons of pictures of Grandma both young and old. Also on display was her wedding dress, and there were flowers everywhere. The chapel was filled with beautiful bright colored and fall bouquet's.
One of the display's
The big brown & white family photo was silk screened in the casket lining
Grandma Lou Bouquet, and Mom Bouquet
Grandma loved flower's and one of her favorite things was cattail's. When Grandma and Grandpa were on their honeymoon she told him that she loved cattails. On their way home from Panguitch Lake, they stopped by the side of the road, and Grandpa picked some for her. So after that, there were always cattails around Grandma's house. I will remember her every time I see a cattail.
One funny memory from the funeral that I will never forget, is I was a Casket Escort. My mom informed me Friday morning that the grand daughters would be Casket Escort's, and that we would walk in front of the casket as it entered into the chapel. We would be carrying flower's that we would place into a vase at the front of the chapel. Then after the funeral we would grab our flower, and take it with us to the cemetery, and then place it on the casket. That sounded okay to me. We'll this is what actually happened. After the family prayer, and saying our last goodbye, the funeral director asked the Casket Escort's to come to the front of the room. He asked for 2 of us to stand at the back of the casket, and 2 to be in the front. He told the other's that they could walk on the side or in front of the casket. I was a bit confused at this point. I thought we were just walking in front of the casket. Where were the Pal Bearer's?? I was standing at the back of the casket, and I looked at my cousin Janeece, and asked "are we pushing the casket?" We were both confused. We'll the funeral director then told us that after we entered into the chapel, and placed the casket up front, we should wait for our family, then sit by them when we saw them come in. So off we went pushing Grandma down the hall and into the chapel. We had a few laughs and giggles on the way to the chapel, and when we entered the chapel, it was a bit scary, because the isle's weren't very wide. We had to do the forward, backward thing to get the casket down the isle, and into the front of the chapel. I'm sure that everyone was wondering what these silly girls were doing bringing in the casket. Where were those handsome Grandson's? Although I want to laugh at the site of me and my cousin's pushing Grandma's casket (I wish I had pictures). I do feel honored that I was a part of her day. My mom was right about one thing. At the end of the service, we took our flower's to the cemetery, and I was able to place it on Grandma's casket.
The service was very beautiful. There were 4 beautiful musical numbers, and my dad and his brother Jerry gave a life sketch of Grandma. My cousin's Brittany & Chase told about our memories of Grandma, one of Grandma's good friends spoke, and then the bishop made a few remarks. The closing song (A Childs Prayer) was sung by all 28 grandkids, and 41 great-grandkids.
At the cemetery, I was able to take pictures. My brother's and cousins carried the casket to the final resting place.
It was a beautiful & overcast day, and the cemetery was so peaceful. After the graveside prayer, and placing the flower's and boutineer's on the casket, we were able to take a flower from the casket bouquet. After the service, we took pictures with Grandpa, and then went back to the church for dinner. Here are just a few of the pictures that I took with Grandpa.
Grandpa Freedo
Taking a flower from the casket
We love our Grandpa
(I should have taken my glasses off, but my eye's were red.
I don't know which was worse)
Grandpa with his boy's
After the dinner at the church, we released colorful balloons in memory of Grandma. It was a sad moment, but a way to remember that we will see her again. It also left several babies crying, wanting their balloons back. I know that Grandma was there with us, and I know that she was happy to see all of her family together.
Releasing the balloons
Watching the balloons float away
My Dad & Mom, Maddy
We love you and will miss you Grandma Lou

2 comments:
I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. I feel the same way about my grandma as you do yours. Her life is kindof winding down and it will be such a hard day for me when she passes! Good thing that we have the gospel in our lives knowing that we will be with our families forever and that you will see her again! I hope you are doing good under the circumstances.
i've never seen female pal bearers before. what a fun thing.
also, i can understand the dismay of letting go of a perfectly good balloon. :)
Post a Comment